Friday, July 20, 2012

Skills - I (might) have them?

For years, I thought that when you painted your nails, you had to paint right up to the cuticle. However, since I’ve been reviewing (read: stalking) nail sites and blogs, I’m slowly getting the message that you don’t do that. I marvel at how they all manage to make their lines so straight and precise, and don’t “colour outside the lines” like I do.

I usually resort to applying my polish, waiting for it to dry, having a shower and scraping off the sides/excess from the sides of my fingers there. Alternatively, I use moisturiser during the day, and this helps me to be able to scratch off any excess.

Anyway, the conclusion I have come to is that to achieve a perfect mani, it is mostly practice. Practice, and the right tools.

A lot of the blogs out there admit they do Photoshop their images to tidy things up a little, but usually you can spot a blatantly over-Photoshopped image. Quite simply, these ladies (and perhaps gents) just know what they’re doing!

So, I’ve been busily trying to emulate their nail-polish-applying-prowess with little success. Until today! Using Orly’s - Spice, I did not a bad job on my left hand fingers and thumb. I found the Orly brush was just right for painting delicately, and stopping just short of the cuticle. And because I was painting delicately, I wasn’t over applying the polish, and so it dried faster. And because it dried faster I was able to put a second coat on sooner . . .



It seems preparation is the key. I learned a lot from reading how everyone does their mani’s. However, here is (the best ever nail blog) Nihrida’s - How to Perfect Manicure Step by Step.

The one thing that eludes me is the right brush to tidy up afterwards. I can’t find anything in the stores here, and I don’t want to buy anything online, as I won’t be able to feel it first to know if it’s what I need. Instead, I’ve been using a couple of stiff angled eyebrow brushes, which are doing an okay job, for now.

Are there any tips you might like to share?

NN

PS - I actually wrote this post a few weeks back but didn't publish it, and am pleased to report that I am getting better and better at application, thus proving my theory about practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment