Saturday, October 20, 2012

Rockin' Halloween Nail Art

OK peeps, I got a whole lotta busy yesterday.  After sifting through the eons of Halloween art photos on the interwebs and discarding the ones that were completely above my skill level, I settled on these:


At the most basic level:  Eerie Nails


Base coat:  BYS - Touch Blue Make it True
Top coat:  Jordana - Bronze Fest




Notice how the blue base is quite transparent and patchy - this was intentional to create an eerie looking mani.  I loved wearing this one - so much so I think I might wear it to work next week!  Super quick (because it's only a very thin base colour coat) and easy to do.


Intermediate skill level:  Blood Droplets


Base:  Rimmel Lycra Pro - Beige Style
Blood droplet top coats:  Clockwise L-R:  Ulta3 - Red Glitter, Orly - Sweet Tart, Rimmel 60 Seconds - Red Carpet, Orly - Scarlet, Sally Hansen Hard as Nails - Flirt




For this mani, I wasn't exactly sure which of my reds would be the right shade for this purpose, so I tried a few (but not all) of them.  I'm partial to Orly's Scarlet shade of red for this mani (on my little finger) because I think it's just dark enough, but not too dark.  This was a fun mani to do, too, and maybe I'll save this for the 31st???


Intermediate - Advanced skill level:  Frankensteins


Base:  BYS - Colour Change Green
Top colours:  Kleancolor - Black, Sally Hanson Hard as Nails - Blue Me Away




I rate this as an Intermediate to Advanced because I know there could be so much more to this.  Unfortunately, this one isn't such a great mani.  I mean, I've seen much better ones out there of old Frank and they make mine look, well, amateurish.  Okay, it is amateurish, but I'm gonna give myself a pat on the back since it's my first go at it, anyway.  Ha!


I think I completely chose the wrong green.  I had been hoping, that the Colour Change Green would give me much more than what it did, thereby creating a nice little effect on Frank's face.  However, it was not to be.  Prior to painting on the details, even when I ran my fingers under the cold tap, the green didn't really darken up much.  Certainly not as much as suggested by the sticker on the bottle!  It's just a pea soup coloured, wishy washy green and completely did not suit my skin tone, but perhaps that was the point?


Intermediate to Advanced:  Halloween Themed


Clockwise L-R:  Pumpkin Face (L.A. Colors - Magnetic Force), Blood drip (Rimmel - Beige Style), Eye (Savvy, Grapetini), Witch's Broomstick (L.A. Colors - Wavelength), Frank (Colour by TBN - Teal Me On), with Kleancolor - Black used for designs




Now that I'm starting to get the hang of this, it's getting easier for me to understand what I need to do to make each creation with the materials I have.  It's important to note here that I only used toothpicks, a bobby pin and blobs of nail polish for all of these designs - I don't own any "proper" nail art tools).


I don't think I have many more creations left in me, but I have seen some pretty cool cat designs online and would love to tackle those at some stage.


NN

No comments:

Post a Comment