Monday, October 1, 2012

More (nail art) stamping

Practice makes perfect with all of this stamping business.  Sometimes I have hits, sometimes I have misses.  But it's a learning process, so, following the wise words of Dory, I  "just keep stamping, just keep stamping, just keep stamping, stamping, stamping".


This is the kit:





This is my recent attempt:




I used Savvy's Mint Julep as the base colour and Essence's Passion for Fashion. 


Whilst weaving through the interwebs, I read that for stamping you need to use a polish which is opaque in one coat in order to be able to see the stamping effect properly.  In my experience, this is indeed correct. 


Konad, the premier stamping brand, sells their own special stamping polish with their kits.  For non-Konad-ers (i.e. people like me who buy the cheaper imitation kits), it was suggested that metallic polishes (of any brand) were a good option, given that the metallics dry faster than normal polishes.  Stepping away from metallics, Essence was brand that was suggested, along with Ulta3 and Kleencolor polishes.


I've tried Essence - it's OK, but not perfect, as you can see from the photo above.  Ulta3's Lily White polish wasn't too bad (as evidenced from my earlier blog - the "celestial" photo).  I tried Rimmel's Black Out, and that was quite good (the zebra pattern from my earlier blog post), but I think the most effective polish I have used to date was Revlon's Silver Dollar. (the seahorse photo).


The reason I think the metallic worked better was not just because it dried faster, but it is a thicker, chunkier polish.  What also helped was that I used Sally Hansen's Blue Me Away as the base colour, which is a flat creme polish, so it made the seahorse design "pop".


I have a lot of polishes now, so I'll keep experimenting with them all and post the results to share what works and what doesn't.


NN

No comments:

Post a Comment