Sunday, June 2, 2013

Stickers, and all that glitters

Howdy everyone! I'm back with a stack of pics for you.
First up, Nail Rock nail stickers. I purchased mine from Priceline (you can see the range they stock here).  I was really excited to try these, as I had been trying to find a robin's egg type polish or sticker for my nails for ages.  I'd previously had a fairly positive experience with the 1000 hour 3D Nail Wraps, so I thought these would be awesomesauce.  They.  were.   not.
 
 
As you can see from the photos above and below, they were a disaster from start to finish.  There were sufficient application instructions, however, I think the product itself was lacking.  There were lots of different-sized stickers to fit different nail sizes, and yet I couldn't seem to find exactly the right size to fit my nails.  The instructions also suggested that you could cut down the stickers to fit as required.  My problem with that is you won't know whether you need to cut the sticker until you get it on or near your nail, and by that stage, you've taken it off its backing.  Given that you're not meant to touch the back surface of the sticker (which adheres to your nail), cutting it to fit makes it extremely difficult.
 
At this point, I will say that they adhered to my nails extremely well.  So well, it took me ages (30 minutes) to remove them.  This is a problem when you need to remove part of the sticker to fix an inevitable crease that will occur as a part of application.
 
Verdict:  Don't waste your money.  They're not worth it.
 
 
 
Polish time!  Face of Australia recently released a limited edition range called Glitterati.  Take a look at my favourites below:
 
 
Glitterati:  Funky Town
 
Funky Town was probably the least effective out of the three that I purchased.  The distribution of glitter throughout the polish was quite sparse, and while I liked the bluey/purple/periwinkle colour, the polish itself was very sheer, and yet it covered up the glitter so you couldn't really see it.
 
 

Glitterati:  Heart of Glass

The formula for Heart of Glass was a bit tacky, and took a while to dry, but I adore its large square glitters.  Glitter ratio throughout was much better than Funky Town, and because of the pale base polish colour, you're better able to see the glitter pieces.


Glitterati:  Boogie Wonderland
 
Boogie Wonderland is my favourite out of the three, purely for ease of application.  I think the polish formula is just right for this one, and while it'll need at least three coats to get opaque coverage, you can get away with just one if you want something a little more understated.
 
Warning:  More glitter ahead! 
 
Missha recently released their The Style Lucid Nail Polish [Dazzling] range, which are basically a bunch of topcoat glitter polishes.
 
Dazzling No. 6:



Dazzling No. 6, is a black and white hex, square and bar glitter polish (gasps!).  It works really well against pastels, and application is awesomesauce.  This is my favourite, and I'm happy that these companies seem to be getting better at their glitter polish formulas.

Dazzling No. 1:


Dazzling No. 1 is a blue and red hex/square/bar polish.  Please excuse the rubbish photo (with tip wear, no less!).  Similar to No. 1, application was easy and the glitter is nicely dispersed.  I'm keen to try this one with a purple base to bring out the red, or maybe even a black.

Dazzling No. 5:


The trouble with Dazzling No. 5 is that there is too much bar glitter.  Bar glitter is difficult to apply at the best of times, but this formula is a little gluggy and that just doesn't make it any easier.  I might put a bit of thinner in this bottle to see whether that makes any difference.  Will also try it with a different base colour next time - I don't think the teal does it any favours.

Dazzling No. 8:


Dazzling No. 8 is basically a flakie topcoat, so, technically it's not a glitter (but close enough).  The above photo doesn't really show how chunky the flakies are, and if you don't want to feel them on your nails, you'll need quite a bit of topcoat to cover them up.  The formula is basically the same as No. 5, so I'll also try this one with a bit of thinner in it and see how it goes.

NN

No comments:

Post a Comment