Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sugar Coat - I want it NOW!

As mentioned in one of my recent posts, Sally Hansen's Fuzzy Coat is now in stores.  But I have also spotted another texture/tactile product on the interwebs - Sugar Coat.

I contacted Sally Hansen to ask when this range would be available in Australia, since it's already been out for ages in the Northern Hemisphere (favouritism much?), and they said "summer".  Summer's a little bit too far away for my liking, and so it got me thinking . . . how could I recreate the look using the polishes I have now?

And then it came to me (in my sleep, no less), Sally Hansen Gem Crush, underneath ANY CREME POLISH OF YOUR CHOOSING!  That might just work.

I only have Glitz Gal from the Gem Crush range, but I may need to invest in a couple of the others if this experiment works out . . .

Here is Glitz Gal in all it's glory:

 
 
Glitz Gal is a charcoal grey, gritty glitter polish with a bunch of holos chucked in for good measure.  Pretty enough on it's own, and, can I say, was ahead of the OPI Liquid Sand/BYS Glitter for Nails/Zoya Pixie Dust collections, and much cheaper.
 
The first step was two coats of Glitz Gal (to ensure super duper gritty-ness).  Luckily, Glitz Gal was extra quick to dry, so I could get to work on my experiment.
 
Next, I used one coat of the following polishes for the experiment:  L-R Australis - Aqua, Models Prefer - Little Black Dress, Australis - Knickers in a Knot, Face of Australia - Ocean Villa and on my thumb Sinful Colors - Snow Me White.  This is what the first coat looked like when still wet:

 
 
You can see that due to the lightness of Aqua, Glitz Gal is making it less opaque than the others.  Knickers in a Knot is also struggling with the opacity, but the others are coping fine.
 
Next, one more coat, and then wait for it . . .



Ta-da!!!!


So there it is!  My take on Sugar Coat nails.  The darker colours seemed to handle it better (the black and blue look spectacular), but I'm sure if I got a lighter Gem Crush colour, the others would work just as well.

I'm going to do a full set in just the one colour during this coming week and will be sure to post the results.

NN

No comments:

Post a Comment